The Tree of Souls (Na'vi name: Vitraya Ramunong ) is a giant willow tree that is said to be the closest connection to Eywa on Pandora. As pointed out by Miles Quaritch, the tree is a point of extreme spiritual significance to the Na'vi, more so than any other point on Pandora. As of 2154, the site has been spiritually significant for at least 3,000 years.
The Tree of Souls is located on the ground of Pandora, amidst the floating Hallelujah Mountains on top of a large unobtanium deposit near the Hometree of the Omaticaya clan. The coordinates are 34°03'00"N, 118°14'00"W. The tree sits in a basin roughly 60 meters in diameter, shielded by an unusual formation of rock arches that give the impression of a shell encasing it, increasing its sense of security and protection. The tree is difficult to find due to its location right at the heart of Pandora's natural Flux Vortex.
The Tree of Souls, besides being a connection to Eywa, also works as a way for her to directly interact with the world through the seeds of the tree. The tree has the capability to connect directly to the human nervous system, despite humans lacking a queue. The roots of the Tree of Souls are capable of initiating a neural link with the Na'vi, like with the Tree of Voices. This allows all of the Na'vi to unite as one.
The tree has been threatened at least twice in the past. The destruction of the Tree of Souls would prove devastating to the Na'vi as a whole, and would create a cultural and religious void that would decimate the race entirely.
After the destruction of Hometree in August 2154, the Omaticaya were forced to flee to the sacred tree on foot to protect their cultural identity.
When Grace Augustine was fatally injured, Jake Sully brought her to the Omaticaya and they attempted to save her by using the Tree of Souls to connect to Grace's nervous system and permanently transfer her mind to her avatar body. Grace was unfortunately too weak to make the transfer.
Battle for the Tree of Souls
- See also: Assault on the Tree of Souls
Miles Quaritch gathered information on the tree from Jake's video logs, and based an attack strategy around it. he initiated a full-scale assault two days later, of which the main objective was to annihilate the Tree of Souls in order to clear the Na'vi away from the corporation's unobtanium mining efforts. Quaritch knew that the Na'vi would not come within a large radius of the devastated Tree of Souls should it be destroyed. Jake made a speech at the site, in order to spur the Omaticaya into preparing for war and resisting to the threat.
Though Colonel Quaritch's forces managed to outgun, outfight, and eventually rout the numerically superior Na'vi forces, his plan eventually failed due to the massive intervention of Pandora's megafauna, compounded by lack of SecOps force coordination from the increasing intensity of the planet's Flux Vortex. The tree was not damaged during the battle, although the explosives meant for it reached within a kilometer of its resting place.
After the battle, the Omaticaya successfully transfer Jake's mind into his avatar, making it his true body forever.
Behind the Scenes
- In the script, the Tree of Souls is called "the Well of Souls", although this may refer to the basin in which the tree dwells. The video game adaptations feature a site referred to by that name, which is described in the game's own Pandorapedia as a separate, and potentially more powerful site.
- To celebrate the release of Avatar on DVD and Blu-ray, an electronic version using fiber optic cables could be found in Hyde Park London from 24th to 26th April 2010. It had sensors to detect the movement of people walking around it and was able to change its color, move to music, and display messages uploaded from iPods or mobile phones. For every person who interacted with the tree, a real tree was planted as part of the global campaign to plant one million trees. The target was ultimately reached on 19th January 2011.
- The coordinates seen on Grace's display of the Tree of Souls point to 34°03'00"N, 118°14'00"W. On Earth, this is the location of the Los Angeles City Employment Office.
- Avatar Script, page 75
- File:Coordinates.jpg Co-ordinates displayed on an analysis of the flux vortex