Zoe Yadira Zaldaña Nazario
June 19, 1978
Zoe Saldaña (born Zoe Yadira Saldaña Nazario; June 19, 1978) is an American actress. She is also known as Zoë Saldana, Zoe Saldaña, and Zoë Saldaña. She is best known for playing Anamaria in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Uhura in Star Trek (2009), Neytiri in Avatar and Gamora in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Zoe Saldaña was born in New Jersey and raised in Queens, New York. She first appeared in film with Center Stage in 2000, a role which drew on her background in dancing as a child. She received two breakthrough roles in 2009- that of Neytiri in Avatar, and Nyota Uhura in JJ Abrams' Star Trek reboot film. She is also widely known for her role as Gamora in Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), as well as subsequent Marvel Cinematic Universe films.
- Center Stage (2000)
- Snipes (2001)
- Get Over It (2001)
- Drumline (2002)
- Crossroads (2002)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Temptation (2004)
- Haven (2004)
- The Terminal (2004)
- Dirty Seeds (2005)
- Guess Who (2005)
- Premium (2006)
- After Sex (2007)
- Blackout (2007)
- Constellation (2007)
- Vantage Point (2008)
- Star Trek (2009)
- The Skeptic (2009)
- Burning Palms (2009)
- Avatar (2009)
- Takers (2010)
- Death at a Funeral (2010)
- The Losers (2010)
- Colombiana (2011)
- Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- The Book of Life (2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
- My Little Pony: The Movie (2017)
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019)
- Avatar 2 (2020)
- Avatar 3 (2021)
- Avatar 4 (2024)
- Avatar 5 (2025)
- Her father is of Dominican descent; her mother is Puerto Rican.
- Ranked #42 on Maxim's 2008 Hot 100 List.
- Ranked #29 on Maxim's 2009 Hot 100 List
- Ranked #3 on Maxim's 2010 Hot 100 List.
- In The Terminal (2004), Saldana's character Torres is revealed to be a Trekkie. Saldana went on to be cast as Uhura in Star Trek (2009).
- Zoe hadn't seen the original series, before she was cast in Star Trek (film).
- To prepare her role in Star Trek (2009) she met with Nichelle Nichols who played the same character in the original series.
- She admires Whoopi Goldberg and Angelina Jolie.
- Was chosen as one of People Magazine's annual 100 Most Beautiful People in the World, Beauty at Every Age section, age 28, in May 2007.
- She had a small role in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), and was set to star in the sequels, but never did. In the final scene of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006), the people were told an old friend would return, and while filming the scene, the actors were told it was Zoe who would return. However it was Geoffrey Rush, and they only told the actors it was Zoe to surprise them and get a real reaction from them. Zoe never reprised her character.
- She won a Saturn Award for her portrayal of Neytiri, in Avatar.
- Zoe Saldaña in the Internet Movie Database
- Official Site (archive.org)
- Unofficial Site (archive.org)